Give Cancer the Paw–The High Cost of Love

1 in 4 dogs cancer thumb Give Cancer the Paw–The High Cost of Love

Cancer is one of the leading causes of death in cats and dogs, which is why organizations like the National Canine Cancer Foundation have set aside the entire month of November to educate pet parents about the causes, effects, and treatments of this terrible disease.

SOBERING PET CANCER STATISTICS

• 12 million cats and dogs are diagnosed with cancer every year
  • 1 out of every 4 dogs will be diagnosed with cancer
  • 1 in 5 cats will get cancer
  • Half of all dogs diagnosed will die from cancer
  • Dogs are 2x more likely to develop leukemia than humans, 4x more likely to develop breast cancer, 8x more likely to develop bone cancer, and 35x more likely to develop skin cancer

Like so many others of you I’ve dealt with canine cancer. My beloved Lab Murphy  was diagnosed back in 1999 at the age of 11. She competed and earned titles in obedience, agility and her favorite thing of all, AKC Hunt Tests, She’d never been seriously ill or injured, was in great shape, led an active life and this came as a huge surprise. After consulting at length with my vet I chose not to put here through surgery, chemo or radiation. My decision was to give her the best life possible in the  time she had left and accept the end when it came. Murphy, her ‘sister’ Cecil and I kept up our activities for the next year and a half. On her final day Murph spent the afternoon doing triple water retrieves from the dog dock at a nearby dog park. That evening she was in great distress and I rushed her to the vet where the final decision was made. Some may differ, but I stand by my decision, based in great part on her age at the time of diagnosis. Murph’s final time was a happy one, and I hope the one she would have chosen for herself.

MURPH thumb Give Cancer the Paw–The High Cost of Love

Had Murphy been a young dog I’m sure my choice would have been different, and that brings me to the topic of cost.  According to CostHelper, here are the costs of treating cancer in dogs:

• Costs vary widely, depending on the type and stage of cancer, the number of treatments needed and the age and condition of the dog.
  • The initial visit, including diagnosis, discussion of prognosis and a treatment plan likely will cost $200 and up, depending on the location of the cancer, according to The National Canine Cancer Foundation.
  • Major surgery to remove a tumor deep in the body, or that requires reconstruction, usually starts at about$1,500.
  • Chemotherapy depends on the size of the dog, and usually ranges from $200 to $2,000 and up, for three to six months of treatment.
  • Radiation therapy usually ranges from $2,000 to $6,000.
  • The treatment combination depends on the type of cancer. For lymphoma, the most common type of cancer in dogs, treatment usually consists of only chemotherapy. The average claim amount submitted to Veterinary Pet Insurance for lymphoma is $479. Mast cell tumors usually are treated with only surgery, and sometimes radiation or chemotherapy, depending on the stage, and have an average claim amount of$604. Osteosarcoma is sometimes treated with amputation surgery and almost always with chemotherapy, with an average claim amount of $446.

These seem on the low side to me, based on what I’ve read from dog parents currently battling the disease. For example, according to a recent post, for Benny of Two French Bulldogs, who sadly lost his battle with liver cancer, the costs came to $18,622.05. What’s a loving pet parent to do? Do we make our choice of treatment based on dollars? I recently wrote about the sacrifices pet parents are making when faced with skyrocketing vet bills. Sometimes sacrifice is not enough…is there anywhere those folks can turn to for help?

Luckily the answer is yes.  There are groups that can and will help. One is Paws 4 a Cure.

Paws4Cure thumb Give Cancer the Paw–The High Cost of Love

The mission of Paws 4 A Cure is to provide financial assistance for canine and feline owners who cannot afford veterinary care for their beloved furry family members otherwise. I recently met Keri Goldman, President & Founder of Paws 4 a Cure and was impressed with her compassion and dedication. Keri started the organization in loving memory of her Chow Chow, Nikko, that went to the Rainbow Bridge on April 2, 2007 after bravely battling cancer. Nikko inspired her to form a group of like-minded individuals to assist other animals in need of veterinary care when their parents can not afford treatment. The group is entirely supported by donations. Keri and her volunteers tirelessly travel the country educating people about cancer in pets and raising funds to further their mission. Take time to visit their website and consider making a donation, and don’t hesitate to apply for assistance if you are in need.

IMG 0025 1024x811 Give Cancer the Paw–The High Cost of Love

Another place to turn for help is The Dog and Cat Cancer Fund, an initiative of Zuke’s Pet Treats.  The Dog & Cat Cancer Fund helps fight canine and feline cancer by working directly with veterinarians to help needy families get treatment for their cats and dogs suffering from cancer. The Fund offers grants to help scientists conduct research into the next generation of life saving treatments. They promote prevention by raising awareness, understanding the risk factors, and encouraging early testing for canine and feline cancer.Please take a moment to Meet the Pets the Fund has helped and remember that for every bag of Zuke’s Treats you buy a donation is made to the Fund. You can  click here to view my video interview where Sarah Julian talks about this great program and how you can help #FueltheLove with Zuke’s.

Zuke’s is asking for your help with the new #FuelTheLove campaign. All you need to do is upload a video or picture of your pup “in action and loving life” to Twitter or Instagram, tag it with @ZukesPets and #FuelTheLove and they’ll donate $5 to the Dog and Cat Cancer Fund! http://ow.ly/qpmYQ

Dog and Cat Cancer FundWEB2 thumb Give Cancer the Paw–The High Cost of Love

Finally, this November, PetCareRx is teaming up with the National Canine Cancer Foundation to spread the word about National Pet Cancer Awareness Month. You can easily join their effort to raise $5,000 for the National Canine Cancer Foundation. For every Facebook page LIKE they receive, PetCareRX will donate 50 cents to the Foundation.

12 Millions Pets 2 thumb Give Cancer the Paw–The High Cost of Love

Today is the innaugeral “Give Cancer the Paw” blog hop, a quarterly event hosted by Peggy’s Pet Place and Pooch Smooches.  I hope you’ve this post found this helpful and that you’ll join us in the hop. You can write about whatever pet-cancer-related topic you want: a tribute, info on treatments or research, a cancer walk you participated in, or a support post for a furry family member or fuzzy friend.

cancer blog hop thumb Give Cancer the Paw–The High Cost of Love

I believe this information is important enough to keep sharing so I’m linking up with the FitDog Friday blog hop hosted by Slim Doggy

fitDogFriday thumb Give Cancer the Paw–The High Cost of Love

This entry was posted in canine health, dogs and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Give Cancer the Paw–The High Cost of Love

1. Jodi says:

Great post, lots of good information here.

I think you made the choice that was right for you and your dog. I hope if it ever arises, I’m brave enough to do the same.
    Jodi recommends CocobananaMy Profile

2. Lindsay says:

I had a golden retriever who had liver cancer. We also chose to have her euthanized at age 11 without going through chemo, surgery or other expensive treatments. I wish pet owners did not have to face those difficult choices. Glad to hear there are some programs out there helping with the potential costs.
    Lindsay recommends PoochPax review and coupon codeMy Profile

3. The cost breakdown is very eye-opening. Thanks for doing that. I am curious if my pet insurance would cover cancer treatment. At 11, if Chester was diagnosed with cancer, I am not sure that I would to the chemo and surgery option either. If my pet insurance didn’t cover it, I am not sure I would have a choice anyway. I couldn’t afford $20,000 to treat him. It sounds like you made the right choice for Murphy and you. His final year sounded very happy.
    Jessica@YouDidWhatWithYourWeiner recommends When You Feed Frozen Raw and Your Fridge Craps OutMy Profile

4. We have pet insurance but it’s good to know about those organizations. Which reminds me that I still need to submit a photo to Zuke’s.

5. This is great info. Sadly, I do think cost plays a big part in the decision making. I didn’t have pet insurance when Cosmo was diagnosed with cancer, but now I do for Rocco.

On the other hand, we still spent a good bit on Cosmo’s cancer treatment and I’m not sure it made any difference in the end. Sounds like you made a great choice with Murphy. Hopefully all the awareness spreading and research will result with even better treatment options :)
    Diane @ To Dog With Love recommends Hiking Fort Mountain with DogsMy Profile

6. Thank you for sharing such a great cause! I didn’t know about Paws 4 a Cure.

7. I’m still trying to get caught up with my reading/commenting from yesterday, so please forgive me for the delay.

Beth, you made the right decision for Murphy. Don’t ever doubt yourself … no one else, other than your vet, knew Murphy as well as you did and therefore could not possibly have known what was right for her. She was a beautiful girl! I know you miss her; but thankfully you have Gizmo to help you through the more difficult days. Like I miss Kissy and have Callie, Shadow, and Ducky. We love all our dogs — past, present, and future — and we just do what we have to do to the best of our ability to keep them healthy and happy.

Finally, thank you for all that wonderful information! I hope to God I never have to refer to it for any of my girls; but it’s comforting to know it’s out there! I’m going to bookmark all those websites as soon as I have a moment where I can just sit back and breathe.
    Sue at The Golden Life (aka samsnortherngirl.wordpress.com) recommends HONORING THE LIVES OF FOUR DOGSMy Profile

8. Don’t worry you made the right decision. I have friends that have a dog that is battling the Big C, and they to have decided to not put him through surgery because surgery would be too hard on him for his really old age. Murphy’s story is so touching. I’m so glad that he got to live an extra year and half. He was so lucky to have you in his life. Lots of hugs, Francesca
    Francesca Villa recommends Thank You!!!!!!My Profile

9. That was a great informational post Beth. How neat you had a lab and ran hunt tests, you really understand what we do with our dogs then. Murphy was beautiful. Sorry for your loss long ago. The statistics were scary.
    Sand Spring Chesapeakes recommends {This Moment} ~See BeautifulMy Profile

10. Ruby says:

Oh Gizmo, I’m sorry I missed this postie yesterday!! I blame Ma and her total disregard for MY BLOGGIE! It’s just wrong that I missed this most important post with all this FABulous info…someone’s gettin’ a nip in the hinnie…just sayin’!
    Thanks buddie!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥
    Ruby recommends Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

11. easy rider says:

Thanks for this post Gizmo. I’m so glad that so much people join this groups to help and support peeps&pets. The costs in case your pet gets this diagnosis can stretch your budget to the limit. We lost our beloved Frosty through cancer and I hope together we will find a cure
    easy rider recommends easyblog WORDLESS WEDNESDAYMy Profile

12. Dawn says:

Wanted to let you know Bree is back in the hospital (Cowspot dogs’ mom)….

13. Amy and Toby says:

What a brilliant post. I will pin it so I can share these resources for my vet tech daughter to pass on to her patients. Yes the costs can really mount up, and the pet community, in addition to helping with the costs, also needs to be compassionate and understanding when spending thousands of dollars (without much assurance of the result) is not feasible for loving pet parents.
    Of course you did right by Murphy. Quality of life for another year+ is a very loving decision.

14. Lauranne says:

At the end of the day all any of us can do is what we think is best for our pets – you knew Murphy the best, I am confident that you have done the right thing.

Sobering thoughts indeed!

15. A really great post and paws for thought for us all. Have no doubt you did the right thing for Murphy. Everyone has to make that choice but it would be great if cost wasn’t the main driver. Super that there are organisations out there which can help.
    Animalcouriers recommends First hellos for Ike and JJ, reunion for Desy, and Coco is finally on her wayMy Profile

16. BoingyDog says:

Wow, those numbers are staggering – I know several dogs with cancer or tumors but had no idea the chances of dogs getting cancer was so high. I also didn’t know about your story with Murphy – your child and I’m certain you made the best decision no matter what anyone else says. Thank you for this post – I have a preventative plan for Kayo that saves me a lot of money and also has provided Kayo with all the care she’s ever needed. But an insurance plan for more expensive treatments has been weighing on my mind.

I did FueltheLove and was happy to get a response from Zuke’s on Twitter!
    BoingyDog recommends The Hurry Up and Wait Walk – Work the Walk, Day 3My Profile

17. Slimdoggy says:

Excellent compilation of information Gizmo, all such good important information. So sorry about Murphy, I think you made the right decision. We decided to treat Becca and she got pretty sick from the chemo. We stopped immediately and she bonded back, but I felt bad for doing that to her.
    Slimdoggy recommends Social Network for Pet Owners: Q&A with YummyPetsMy Profile

18. Such a devastating disease for man and animals! We pray that soon there will be a way to quickly cure those with it in a manner that they don’t suffer from the treatment or the high costs!

Your Pals,

Murphy & Stanley
    Murphy & Stanley recommends Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

19. Madi and Mom says:

Gizmo you are a wonderful PR pooch for all our 4 legged friends.
    Hugs Madi your bfff
    Madi and Mom recommends WORDLESS WEDNESDAYMy Profile

20. Thanks for all the information. However, I can’t get past Murphy and finally being able to put a face to your hunt test doggie. She looked so sweet. Thanks for sharing her picture and story. I am sorry you had to loose her to cancer. I guess it is bittersweet that she was able to do what she loved even on her last day.
    2 brown dawgs recommends Wordless Wednesday–Happy RunMy Profile

21. Your post brings back memories, Gizmo. I had to let go of my dog because of a tumour, when she was almost 18 years. In your heart you know when it’s time, it’s like they tell you. Pawkiss.
    angelswhisper2011 recommends GiftsMy Profile

22. Thank you for a very informative post.
    Scylla, Socks, Tuiren & Fenris recommends Ginger JasperMy Profile

23. Wow, those costs are amazing. It nice that there are organizations to help out.

24. Flea says:

Wow! Another year and a half of happy! Our first baby was 12 and a half and passed within a week. It was sudden and fierce and the vet recommended she cross the bridge. It’s different for every animal and family. Here’s to Gizmo being around for at least another decade!

25. Misaki says:

sounds like you did the right thing. Its one of the hardest decisions we have to make as pet parents
    Misaki recommends WW: Chilling with daddyMy Profile

26. Jan K says:

Excellent post! The statistics are rather depressing, but all the help there is out there is encouraging.
    I think you absolutely did the right thing with Murphy. A year and a half sounds like a great amount of time to get also with no treatment. Back then (1999 also) we treated our 6 year old for lymphoma and we only had her for another 3 months. I think lymphoma treatments have come a long way since then, from what I’ve read, and that’s encouraging too. For myself, the age of the pet is a huge factor in a decision of whether to treat or not.
    Jan K recommends Give Cancer the Paw – Blog HopMy Profile

27. Two French Bulldogs says:

Remembering my Benny boy today with this post
    Lily

28. We know you were right re Murphy. A good owner knows when the time has come and puts their pet first before their own feelings. We have lost too many recently to the awful C. Blogville has lost some dear friends.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday.
    Best wishes Molly
    Molly The Wally recommends Slog It Blog It, Watery Wednesday!My Profile

29. Kyla says:

It’s amazing that one can try to give an animal the best remaining time and then end it to prevent needless suffering. You mention that it is the path you believe Murph would have chosen for herself. I pity you poor humans, you’re not allowed to make that choice for humans-even for yourself.
    Kyla recommends Kaci the horse playerMy Profile

30. Ann Staub says:

Interesting facts and statistic and awesome programs you’re sharing today Gizmo. Like you, I chose the same sort of path for my own cat when she had breast cancer. I think the prices sound about right. Many times people choose a treatment plan that is mostly just supportive care, and not necessarily chemo or radiation. We did some chemo treatments at one hospital I worked at. I never did like those.
    Ann Staub recommends Unique Holiday Gifts from Mollie & Alfie’s Gift ShopMy Profile

31. I totally support how you dealt with Murphy’s cancer! There are many options usually (holistic, radiation, chemo, surgery, supplements, etc.) but it all comes down to knowing your pet and knowing what they will handle best. There are NO WRONG ANSWERS because we make our decisions based on our love of our pet and what is best for them and the family. When our 12 yr old beagle had cancer we didn’t do the radiation they offered – she would have hated going for the treatments. But when our 15-month-old mix had cancer, we did everything we could. And, yes, it was super expensive. Oh, to have had the pet insurance for her! But we thought, ‘she’s young. what could go wrong?’ Boy, were we clueless. Now we have insurance for Rita. And probably nothing will happen to her – and that would be awesome! :)

Thanks for sharing those resources and for joining our hop. I am definitely going to upload a photo of Rita for the Zukes campaign!
    Jackie Bouchard recommends Give Cancer the Paw: 8 Ways We Try to Prevent CancerMy Profile

32. Urban hounds says:

What a great organization. Cancer costs are staggering. I have insurance for 3 of my 5 dogs. The others were uninsurable. I made sure cancer was covered because I know I would pursue treatment and I want to be able to afford it. I do think everyone. Needs to make their win decision and no one is wrong to choose to pursue or not pursue treatment
    Urban hounds

33. Peggy Frezon says:

Sweet Murphy, and that is so wonderful that he enjoyed life to the end. It is a decision that may be different for every dog, and you did the best thing for Murphy. Thank you for all this helpful information too. Paws 4 a Cure looks like an amazing group. I wish we’d had the option of trying to save Brooks, but he started having seizures one day after his diagnosis, and the doctor couldn’t control them. This hop has really helped me learn more about canine cancer and it’s information I need to help keep Kelly and Ike as healthy as possible. Thank you for joining the hop.
    Peggy Frezon recommends Give Cancer The Paw Blog HopMy Profile

34. Great post! I fully support how you dealt with Murphy’s diagnosis. When Tucker was diagnosed with brain cancer he was almost 14. There was no way I was putting him through arduous treatment at that age.
    Sue at Talking Dogs recommends My Tripawd Dog | #GiveCancerthePawMy Profile

35. Earl Lover says:

Nice post! I really feel for those whose dogs have had cancer, it must be devastating for them and all.
    Earl Lover recommends Wordless Wednesday, Pet Health Month and Give Cancer the PawMy Profile

36. Earl Lover says:

Nice post! I really feel for those whose dogs have had cancer, it must be devastating.

37. Jen says:

Never regret the decision that you made.
    I love to see all the big businesses coming together to help such an important cause.

38. Like Emma said you made the right decision. Before we had Mollie and Alfie and starting blogging, we never thought of animals getting cancer..I know DUMB lol.
    We have both insured as we could not afford the treatment if we didn’t. great post Gizmo xxoxxx

Mollie and Alfie

39. Great post. And it’s nice to know there is help available for some. We support your decision for Murphy. Each person has to make their own decision.
    jansfunnyfarm recommends Farewell Rocky & JasperMy Profile

40. emma says:

Excellent post! We all have a pet insurance cancer rider because we know those costs can skyrocket in a moment. Cancer is a nasty beast for any living creature. You did the right thing with your dog, letting her live another 1 1/2 yrs being happy. No one can judge you on that as you knew your dog best.
    emma recommends Bunny Luv | GBGV | Wordless WednesdayMy Profile